|   HOME   |   PILATES   |   FOOD   |   FITNESS   |   HEALTH   |   MY STORY   |

Thursday, November 12, 2015

STUFFED VEGETARIAN MUSHROOMS



I have been trying to eat mushrooms for a few years now, however I find them very hard to get down! My good friend Tahnee told me to fry them in oil, thyme and garlic, hence this recipe was born. I also shared a delicious breakfast of Portobello mushrooms with her a few Sundays ago and was inspired to make my own version of stuffed mushrooms. Three things surprised me when I made this dish: 
1. How filling mushrooms are,
2. How much my husband loved it (and he usually hates anything that does not contain meat) and
3. How much I liked these mushrooms! 
It is a very simple recipe and the finished product looks very cute or at least I think so! I think I've successfully cured myself of my mushroom hatred, which I am very proud of! 

Ingredients

  • baking paper
  • 4 Portobello / Flat mushrooms, washed & stalks removed
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed & sprig discarded
  • 1 carrot, grated 
  • 20 almonds, halved
  • 1/4 cup grated light cheese 
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, optional- extra to serve 
  • ground black pepper
  • 1 egg, preferably free-range

Cooking 

1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200 degrees celsius. Line a medium baking tray with baking paper. 

2. In a small fry pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat, swirling to coat the pan. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and brush this sautéed mixture onto the outside of the mushrooms so that they do not stick to the paper. Place the mushrooms on the baking paper, cap side down. Spoon the leftover sautéed mixture into in a medium bowl. 

3. Add the carrot, almonds, cheese, basil and pepper to the medium bowl and stir well. Add the egg and stir again to combine. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the mushrooms, making sure to use all the mixture, even if it overlaps the mushrooms slightly. 

4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown and the cheese is golden. Serve warm, alongside a fresh salad. 

Makes /
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 30 minutes max 

x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...